In the past, simply using skincare products containing a sun protection factor was considered enough for consumers to feel protected from environmental elements, but things have changed. These days, companies are searching for innovative ways to battle the impact of pollution on the skin. An environmental concern for decades, pollution has been linked to early aging, skin cancer and a weakened immune system, so finding effective ways to fight it is essential.
5 Ingredients That Can Help Fight Aging
Skincare companies are working these five ingredients into products to help consumers fight the increasingly aggressive impact of pollution.
- Flowers. The stems, petals, bulbs, and oils from popular plants like peonies and edelweiss, offer numerous anti-aging skincare benefits, including reducing inflammation, firming, and even combating adult acne. For example, researchers have discovered that parts of the peony root can disrupt the formation of dark spots. Edelweiss, traditionally grown in harsh climates, offers protection from harmful UV rays.
- Metals. Used to prevent the signs of aging, certain metals can be worked into skincare products to provide long-term protection against unsavory environmental conditions. For example, Mineral Matters, a line of liquid stone extracts from Gattefosse, uses ingredients, such as a zinc complex, to combat the aging of the skin.
- Anti-Inflammatory Agents. Pollutants cause chronic inflammation, which can speed up the aging process. Anti-inflammatory agents, such as pomegranate extracts, can be used to improve skin tone and slow the aging process. Incorporating ingredients offering these benefits into skincare products can help increase the firmness of the skin, making it better equipped to battle pollution.
- Antioxidants. The ingredient most commonly used to fight a host of skin irritants, including pollution: Antioxidants such as vitamin E and vitamin C help calm the skin, protect it, and promote a more youthful appearance.
- Astaxanthin. Technically an antioxidant, but so powerful it deserves a mention of its own, Astaxanthin is a natural red pigment found in a variety of sources, including salmon. Part of the carotenoids chemical class, it offers protection against photo-aging and can also help stop the onset of age spots.
Whether you’re a cosmetics company searching for top talent or a beauty industry professional ready to make a career move, Momentum Search Consultants can help turn your goals into a reality. Contact us today to discuss your needs!